written by Elizabeth Logan, certified holistic nutritionist for Glow
Food, Family and Friends bring everyone together during the holiday season. Grandma’s cookies, holiday lattes and those holiday-coloured candies seem to be around every corner.
Some treats are just too hard to avoid. For some, just a tiny bit of sugar turns on that sweet tooth and we are unable to turn it off.
When healthy habits are in place, it’s like giving your will power a little super charge, making it easier to avoid overindulging this holiday season.
Here are a few healthy habits to help you through this holiday season.
1. Don’t skip meals. Skipping meals to save the calories for the holiday feast tends to back fire and lead us into overindulging due to ravenous hunger. Skipping meals causes our blood sugars to fall, leaving us urgently reaching for the first thing we see. Eating every 2-3 hours will balance those blood sugars helping you navigate the array of temping treats.
2. Contribute a healthy dish. Bringing your own healthy dish to an event will ensure a healthy option to snack on.
3. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. Thirst is often mistaken for hunger. By drinking ½ our body weight in oz a day (Approx. 8-10 glasses), we ensure that we ensure that we are hydrated and can prevent over eating.
4. Choose your drinks wisely. Holiday drinks including alcohol are just empty calories and inhibit our decision making. Stick to calorie-free drinks such as water, tea, ciders or seltzers. If you do choose to indulge in an alcoholic beverage, make sure to alternate each drink with a glass of water.
5. Eat until you are satisfied, not until you are stuffed. No one enjoys that icky stuffed feeling where it’s a struggle to get up off the couch. Don’t over fill your plate and wait at least 15 minutes before you go up for seconds, remember, leftovers are not a bad thing!
6. Don’t feel guilty. If you do overindulge, don’t beat yourself up. Just make sure your next meal is healthy and don’t make overindulgence a habit.
7. Get your zzzz’s. Our concentration, focus, productivity and our ability to make good decisions is impacted by the amount of sleep we get. For optimal brain function we need 7-8 hours a sleep a night.
8. Find your recharge station. Just like our cell phones, our batteries need to be charged. When we are operating from a full charge, we are able to make better decisions and respond to life rather than react. Your recharge station might be watching your favorite show, it might be doing a craft or reading a novel that you get lost in. Carve out some time each day to recharge.
Food has the power to bring everyone together and the holidays come but once a year, so enjoy yourself!
Family friends and delicious food is what makes this time of year special.
Remember, keep looking forward and bring only the healthy habits into the new year with you.
P.s. Learn more about Elizabeth's nutrition services for Glow here
Join us on Zoom this Sunday, June 6 at 2 p.m.
Taking the time to paint and be creative can combat stress and boost well-being.
We are so excited to paint along with our dance teacher Gail Spencer-Lamm on Zoom, and we would love to see you there!
What you need:
When and Where and How to Attend:
3 Steps to join our paint party!
Use PayPal to check out, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to charge the party to your membership. ($10)
Workout your Way and win prizes from Glow this April 1 - 30.
How much does the challenge cost?
This challenge is FREE to join for all Glow members.
When does it start?
It starts on Thursday, April 1, 2021.
What workouts are counted?
Gym workouts at Glow, attending Glow classes, home workouts, outdoor workouts, and virtual workouts all count towards your 30 days of workouts!
What if I miss a day?
Then you can double up your workouts the next day. But you can't miss 2 days in a row if you want to qualify for prizes.
How do you track our workouts?
What if I don't have Instagram?
What kind of prizes will there be to win?
The price range of the prizes will range from $10 - $150, and there will be several prize draws at the end of the month.
I have hardly worked out during the pandemic! I don't know if I can do 30 days of worktouts in a row.
You can! This Challenge can be as easy or as intense as you choose to make it.
All we ask is that you share how you moved for 30 minutes with us every day.
The level of workout is up to you - if a brisk walk around the neighbourhood is more than you were doing before - then that counts as your workout.
Think of it as 30 days of MOVEMENT.
Why Should I do this Challenge?
It’s FREE and besides the amazing benefits of moving your body for 30 minutes each day; gain muscle, improve circulation, boost energy, improve mood, regulate digestion, better sleep, and so many more-you can win fun prizes as well!
Join The Glow Team as we participate in this challenge too.
Everyone who does the 30 days will be entered to win!
What if I have more questions?
Please email us here!
Are you a Glow member who wants to join the challenge? Email us with your name and we'll sign you up.
Not a member? Sign up for any Glow membership online here.
On Friday, February 12 gyms in Manitoba were allowed to reopen.
Glow Fitness for Women was delighted to be back in the gym.
"Our goal with our Covid procedures was to make them so seamless and integrated that you don't have to think about it. We want our members to be able to come to Glow, get moving, and get their mind off pandemic stress while they are here. It only takes one session to notice the effect on your wellbeing." says Katie Hartle, owner of Glow Fitness.
Covid protocals are integrated - tracking and surveillance systems are built into the gym's software.
The air is kept fresh with an hvac system that pipes fresh air into the space from outside.
Distancing measures and cleaning are woven into the updated experience.
Hartle notes that getting everyone moving in one direction is nothing new at Glow, as they have a circuit of strength machines and cardio setup, "Everyone moves in one direction already!"
Being a 24/7 facility allows their members to come anytime, allowing traffic to space out.
Members typically spend 30 minutes to 60 minutes at Glow, either on a treadmill, doing the strength machines in the circuit, stretching, or yoga.
The hydraulic-based strength machines are time-saving, two sets of opposite muscle groups can be strengthened at once, and a full-body circuit session takes 30 minutes.
"Our members come and get their workouts in and out very efficiently, which helps keep our 25% capacity rules met." says Hartle.
And for those who can't come back to the gym yet?
"We have a program we call, "Virtual Glow." We film from our yoga room. We have live classes with our instructors on Zoom - and yes - we offer tech support!"
The Virtual Glow program includes a gentle pilates, a faster-paced 30 minute "home circuit", meditation, and a variety of yogas. Everything is designed for all-levels, and beginner friendly.
Glow members who don't wish to attend the Virtual program or the gym can also choose to freeze their memberships until they are ready to resume their workouts.
We will be reopening the gym on Tuesday, July 21, adhering to all current government restrictions.
Check back here to find out more information about workouts and signing up during these restrictions.
While we cannot be open 24 hours yet - due to restrictions - we will have amended staffed hours until we can.
As soon as we are able to return to 24/7 - we will!
At this time, we expect to be open under the following staffed hours:
(This might be updated - check back here or check your email for the latest information!)
Temporary staffed hours:
Yoga at Glow this summer
Due to restrictions from the government, we are not yet allowed to have yoga classes in our yoga studio - so for the summer, we are teaching yoga classes with our very own teachers online (access the content anytime!) and in the Selkirk Memorial Park.
Watch for our special Full Moon Flow and Let Go Yoga Workshop in the Park - Saturday July 4, 10 a.m.
Drop-ins welcome for all park yoga classes - $10/class.
We appreciate your support and the chance to stay connected and serve you, our dear community, and help you achieve your best health and wellness during these pandemic times!
May 1 - May 31:
Give a gift, get a gift this holiday season
November 12 - December 12
Bring a new, unwrapped toy to Glow Fitness in Gimli or Selkirk for our charity drive.
We will give you a gift for your donation - a free 2-week pass at Glow Fitness for Women.
A. All toys will be donated to local families through local Christmas Hamper programs.
In Gimli, we are working with Evergreen Basic Needs and their hamper program.
For more information about the Gimli hampers, click here.
In Selkirk, we are working with local volunteers and fellow businesses to continue a program that had previously ended at the local food bank.
For more information about the Selkirk hamper program click here.
A. We are locatin in Gimli and in Selkirk, Manitoba.
In Gimli, we are at 40 Centre Street.
We are staffed Monday - Saturday 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
In Selkirk, we are at 217 Clandeboye Avenue.
Staffed Monday - Thursday, 9 - 5, Friday-Saturday 9 - 12.
The Glow workout gives you a full strength workout, just like lifting weights, but without the weight. Glow's machines use a hydraulic resistance system that responds differently to each person who uses it. This makes it a safe workout for women of all ages and fitness levels.
The circuit works the whole body in thirty minutes - like having a personal trainer rolled right into your gym!
We also have classes in yoga at all levels, pilates, barre, and meditation.